How important is memorizing the scriptures to you? We can read the bible, but do we study it? Do you have it embedded into your heart?
Memorizing scriptures helps encourage others, speak blessings over our children and brings us encouragement when no one is around to lift us up. The purpose of all scripture is to move us to this wonderful and blessed elevation of faith where our constant experience is the manifestation of God’s life and POWER through us.
The bible tells us:
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Joshua 1:8
I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11
I have some BASIC tips for you. It’s not only for kids but for moms, dad, grandparents, uncles and teachers, we all need the Word of God written on the tablet of our heart!
1. Pray. Ask God for wisdom
2. Use the King James version or New King James it’s easier for memorization. If not, the NIV will do.
3. Index card- Write the scripture on one side and the back side write the book, chapter and verse number.
4. Start with short scriptures such as:
I can do all things through Christ -Phil 4:13
Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs. Proverbs 10:12
When I am afraid, I will trust in you. Psalm 119:89
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28
Test all things; hold fast to what is good. 1Thess 5:22
5. My advice is to start with short scriptures and as you get the hang of it then you can do more extensive one.
6. When you are trying to memorize scripture, don’t just read it. You need to WRITE. This is the most important step. Write it over and over and over and over again!
7. As you go on about your day meditate and think on the scripture.
8. Start a new scripture every week but don’t forget to go back to those old verses as well. Reinforcement helps!
Remember to try to do your devotional daily, get into the Word and memorize scriptures.